Sunday, February 3, 2013

Super Spices

Besides coffee, I love tea and one of my favorites is chai. Chai has a combination of spices that are a blast to your palette and offer great health benefits. True confession, I got really excited to remember how much I love spice when I made homemade ravioli with spinach, ricotta and nutmeg tonight. At least the nutmeg was good for me.

Cinnamon - cholesterol, diabetes, inflammation, cognition

Nutmeg - digestion, asthma, memory, anxiety, depression

Cardamom - asthma, bronchitis, digestion, circulation

Anise - cold and flu, laxative, diuretic

Cloves - analgesic, anti-inflammatory, antioxidants, ulcers, indigestion

Black Pepper - digestion, nasal congestion, metabolism, respiration

For most people on a normal diet, spices are a win-win food. They add flavor to otherwise bland foods and have a lot more going for them. Check out this interesting article online that addresses the antioxidant power of spices, promoted by McCormick as their seven super spices [article].

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be reviewed and posted to the blog shortly.